WHAT AM I DOING?


I must say that this is an adventure. I came to Alaska to ride my bike and I am building a deck. The new adventure begins on June 3. I will ride to Girdwood, Alaska,which is about 36 miles from Anchorage. On June 4 I will ride to Whittier, Alaska, which is about 24 miles from Girdwood. At Whittier I have to wait for Jim Jr. to drive me through the tunnel. There is only one road into Whittier and it goes through a tunnel. No bikes, no walking through the tunnel. In Whittier I will catch the ferry to Bellingham, Washington. I will spend five nights on the ferry between Whittier and Bellingham. From Bellingham I plan to ride my bike to Saint Paul, Minnesota. I will take a route mapped out by Adventure Cycling Association and I will use their maps. On my travels I will update this blog whenever possible. Feel free to follow along and post a comment or email me at silverfox.jim@aol.com

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Decision Day

So here is the story.  I am sitting in the Hampton Inn in Ellensburg, WA.  It is Tuesday morning about 2:15 am.  I finished my second day of riding on Sunday and stopped in Concrete, WA.  It has been two hard days for me.  Both days I did 30 to 35 miles.  Now the real climbing starts as I head toward Newhalem. It is decision day. Can I continue on and make it over the mountains? Am I still having fun? Can I physically do this?  The answer I came up with was no.  On my adventure I have been gone from home for not quite a month and a half and I have maybe a total of 250 miles bike riding.  The most fun I have had so far is building the deck with Jim Jr. and being with Elise and Destin. I don't think that I am made up for this long distance bike riding or maybe fully loaded bike trips.  I have to see what comes up down the line.  But for right now I long to be home with Georgia and the guys at the coffee shop.  So the adventure is over. Sunday I went to plan C or is it D or E. I called Georgia and as the faithful wife she flew to Seattle on Monday, rented a car and picked me up in Concrete.  I just love that gal for putting up with me. Like I said we are now in Ellensburg WA and heading home. I have some pictures that I have not been able to post the last week so on the way home I will post them.  Thanks for following.  It has been an anventure.

2 comments:

  1. You've traveled farther than you may know. Along the way, you've experienced the joy of visiting a fine son and reuniting with a loving wife. I'd say the trip was a success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim

    It was very good to meet you on the ferry ... Your still my hero just for giving it a go! Another day, another route ...

    I am still on the road myself and anxious to get home! I am holed up in a hotel in Lincoln, NE with a huge storm blowing through ...

    Take care

    Don

    ReplyDelete