WHAT AM I DOING?


I must say that this is an adventure. I came to Alaska to ride my bike and I am building a deck. The new adventure begins on June 3. I will ride to Girdwood, Alaska,which is about 36 miles from Anchorage. On June 4 I will ride to Whittier, Alaska, which is about 24 miles from Girdwood. At Whittier I have to wait for Jim Jr. to drive me through the tunnel. There is only one road into Whittier and it goes through a tunnel. No bikes, no walking through the tunnel. In Whittier I will catch the ferry to Bellingham, Washington. I will spend five nights on the ferry between Whittier and Bellingham. From Bellingham I plan to ride my bike to Saint Paul, Minnesota. I will take a route mapped out by Adventure Cycling Association and I will use their maps. On my travels I will update this blog whenever possible. Feel free to follow along and post a comment or email me at silverfox.jim@aol.com

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Ferry Day

It is Tuesday morning, 5:00am.  I can see the ferry landing out my hotel window.  I have my bike and BOB in the hotel room. It would have been nice if the room was on the first floor.  There is no WiFi on the ferry so it may be about 5 days before you hear from me.

Mine will be one of the many souls aboard the M/V Matanuska. Below are some pictures I found of the M/V Matanuska on the Web:


Open water I will be crossing between Whittier and Juneau


The "Inside Passage"

Just a couple of weeks ago the M/V Matanuska crashed into a pier at Petersburg, Alaska. I found this photo on the web of the scene at the time of the accident:

M/V Matanuska crash in Petersburg, Alaska

Boy, I hope that person isn't driving the ship now!

4 comments:

  1. glad to see you didnt drop dead on the ride

    ReplyDelete
  2. watch out for the grizzlys

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you did not jinx yourself by saying this start is smoother! Flats and delayed ferries, we just don't want you to leave Alaska is my take on it. Have fun on the ferry ride. Best wishes Jen and Terry

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok back on the road i think you will have alot of ups and downs more pics would be nice good luck,millers...

    ReplyDelete