WHAT AM I DOING?


I must say that this is an adventure. I came to Alaska to ride my bike and I am building a deck. The new adventure begins on June 3. I will ride to Girdwood, Alaska,which is about 36 miles from Anchorage. On June 4 I will ride to Whittier, Alaska, which is about 24 miles from Girdwood. At Whittier I have to wait for Jim Jr. to drive me through the tunnel. There is only one road into Whittier and it goes through a tunnel. No bikes, no walking through the tunnel. In Whittier I will catch the ferry to Bellingham, Washington. I will spend five nights on the ferry between Whittier and Bellingham. From Bellingham I plan to ride my bike to Saint Paul, Minnesota. I will take a route mapped out by Adventure Cycling Association and I will use their maps. On my travels I will update this blog whenever possible. Feel free to follow along and post a comment or email me at silverfox.jim@aol.com

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Well, the old man went to bed. I guess I have been working him too hard on the deck. Plus, he has a big day tomorrow and needs his rest. Before he slipped away, however, Dad asked I update his blog tonight. A good idea I think, given his trip "re-starts" tomorrow and he likely won't be posting on a regular basis as he ferries to the Lower 48 over the next five days (after his bike ride from Anchorage to Whittier, of course).

I have been supervising Dad's training regime over the last two weeks. It could be characterized as "cross-training," given I don't think he has had time to ride his bike but more than once or twice over that time period, but has gotten a good work out under my tutelage, mostly consisting of lifting and carrying 2x6, 2x8, and 4x4 lumber. Think Rock IV, when Rocky went back to basics to train in the Siberian wilderness before fighting the Russian.

I must thank the old man for his help in re-building my deck. I couldn't have done it without him, and boy oh boy, does he ever do good work. Here are some pictures of where we are at on the deck construction:




The deck may not look far along from the pictures, but believe me, the hard work is done. All that is left now is to set a few joices and put the flooring on. I think I can handle that on my own, but we'll see.

Be sure to keep an eye on Dad during his travels. The next several days should prove interesting, with the ferry ride and stops in picturesque places like Yakatat, Juneau, and Ketchikan, Alaska. Hopefully along the way Dad will find a hot spot to fire up his new tablet computer and post some pictures of those locals. He'll be updating his blog map as he goes, so feel free to follow along. It will also be interesting to see how the moose count goes as he travels south. Oh boy, lots to pay attention to.

All for now. Signing off.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it will be good to get on the road Jim, seeing as how Jim Jr was working you like Rocky! If you want to do a re-re- start we have a ton of projects up here and I hear you do good work. Have a great trip! We will be following you along the way. Jen and Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just about on my way out the door. Thought I would check one last time. Thanks for being in Fairbanks for my first start. This second start seems to be going much smother.

    ReplyDelete