WHAT AM I DOING?


I must say that this is an adventure. I came to Alaska to ride my bike and I am building a deck. The new adventure begins on June 3. I will ride to Girdwood, Alaska,which is about 36 miles from Anchorage. On June 4 I will ride to Whittier, Alaska, which is about 24 miles from Girdwood. At Whittier I have to wait for Jim Jr. to drive me through the tunnel. There is only one road into Whittier and it goes through a tunnel. No bikes, no walking through the tunnel. In Whittier I will catch the ferry to Bellingham, Washington. I will spend five nights on the ferry between Whittier and Bellingham. From Bellingham I plan to ride my bike to Saint Paul, Minnesota. I will take a route mapped out by Adventure Cycling Association and I will use their maps. On my travels I will update this blog whenever possible. Feel free to follow along and post a comment or email me at silverfox.jim@aol.com

Monday, June 4, 2012

ON MY WAY

Here I am sitting in this hotel room and the table is not level.  Where is Joe when you need him.  That is for the coffee shop boys.

So here is how my day went:

I left the house about 9:45 and got a little lost getting out of town.  I went out C Street and missed my turn to get to Seward Hwy.  I went about 5 miles too far and of course that is 10 miles when you have to back track.  That was no problem.  When I got to Potters Creek rest stop l stopped for a rest.  At this point I have gone about 20 to 25 miles.  I get a phone call.  It is from the ferry people telling me that the ferry is late and will leave tomorrow morning instead of tonight and I now need to be there at 6:00am tomorrow instead of 8:00pm tonight.  I called Jim Jr. and we decided to keep the same plan of meeting me at Whittier and drive me through the tunnel.  I would stay in Whittier for the night.

Then, another mile down the road, and I get a flat tire. Not just a pin prick, but a mangled mess of glass and wire that I need a pliers to remove from the outer tire. No idea what I rode over. Just the night before Jim Jr. and I decided to leave all repair stuff in the BOB bag, which he was bringing to me in Whittier.  Well, another phone call to Jim Jr., and Destin came and got me and the bike. I dropped Destin back off at work, went to REI, got a new inner tube, and fixed the tire.  Jim Jr. got off work and we drove to Whittier.  I am now at the Anchor Inn of Whittier, Alaska, and Jim Jr. is back home in Anchorage.

One could characterize the Anchor Inn as a bit of a salty abode. Lots of character and local flavor.


The Anchor Inn - My favorite spot inWhittier. Thanks
to all the folks working there for making my stay so
comfortable!


No comments:

Post a Comment