WHAT AM I DOING?


I must say that this is an adventure. I came to Alaska to ride my bike and I am building a deck. The new adventure begins on June 3. I will ride to Girdwood, Alaska,which is about 36 miles from Anchorage. On June 4 I will ride to Whittier, Alaska, which is about 24 miles from Girdwood. At Whittier I have to wait for Jim Jr. to drive me through the tunnel. There is only one road into Whittier and it goes through a tunnel. No bikes, no walking through the tunnel. In Whittier I will catch the ferry to Bellingham, Washington. I will spend five nights on the ferry between Whittier and Bellingham. From Bellingham I plan to ride my bike to Saint Paul, Minnesota. I will take a route mapped out by Adventure Cycling Association and I will use their maps. On my travels I will update this blog whenever possible. Feel free to follow along and post a comment or email me at silverfox.jim@aol.com

Friday, June 1, 2012

Time to get back bloging.  I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tablet 2 with a seven inch screen to take with me on my travels.  I tried to write my blog with it last night and after about an hour and half doing it I tried to put picture in and I lost everything.  I went to bed after that happened.  I have this neat touch screen device that works great but is very slow. 

I leave Monday morning and will ride to Whittier, AK where I will catch my ferry.  The ferry leaves at 11 pm but I have to be there at 8 pm.  This is about 60 to 70 miles ride.  I wanted to leave Sunday and stop in Girdwood, AK Sunday night but I could not find a room.  Girdwood is about 40 miles from Anchorage.  I will meet Jim Jr. at Whittier and he will take me through the tunnel into Whittier.  The only way into Whittier is through a tunnel.  This tunnel is shared with a train.  It is a one way tunnel so on the hour the cars go into Whittier and on the half hour they come out.  The cars drive on the train tracks and when there is a train cars wait.  I'll get some pictures when I get there.

Price of gas here is $4.46.  Sunrise 4:34 am and sunset 11:21 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment