WHAT AM I DOING?


I must say that this is an adventure. I came to Alaska to ride my bike and I am building a deck. The new adventure begins on June 3. I will ride to Girdwood, Alaska,which is about 36 miles from Anchorage. On June 4 I will ride to Whittier, Alaska, which is about 24 miles from Girdwood. At Whittier I have to wait for Jim Jr. to drive me through the tunnel. There is only one road into Whittier and it goes through a tunnel. No bikes, no walking through the tunnel. In Whittier I will catch the ferry to Bellingham, Washington. I will spend five nights on the ferry between Whittier and Bellingham. From Bellingham I plan to ride my bike to Saint Paul, Minnesota. I will take a route mapped out by Adventure Cycling Association and I will use their maps. On my travels I will update this blog whenever possible. Feel free to follow along and post a comment or email me at silverfox.jim@aol.com

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

At Birch Lake on Sunday night Jim Jr. and I had a discussion about the whole trip. The “BOB” trailer was difficult to pull on the first day. The problem is its weight. The way we even got the “BOB” bag on the trailer was to remove the tent (big item) and fill the bag and then strap the tent to the top. So we did not eliminate anything. What we were trying to do was get rid of some of the larger, heavier items, but for a self supported trip like this we decided that all the items were needed. That night my legs cramped up on me and I didn't sleep well. On Monday morning I felt miserable.

Monday morning the discussion continued. We decided to drive to Tok, Alaska, together, which would shave just over 100 miles off my ride and lower my average miles per day necessary to get to  Haines, Alaska, where I was to catch my ferry. On our ride to Tok I came to the realization that going into the remote mountainous section of my trip outside of Tok alone and unsupported would be dangerous. I don't believe that I could pull that “BOB” trailer through those remote mountains with all the supplies in it necessary to support myself. A revised plan needed to be developed. The trip is not over so read on. 


We passed the “Silver Fox” Roadhouse on our drive to Tok, so I thought I ought to take a picture.


At Tok we decided to return to Anchorage and regroup. On Monday night we camped at Glennallen. There I decided on changing my ferry ticket to depart from Whittier, Alaska, instead of Haines. This eleminates the remote mountainous areas of eastern Alaska and the Yukon Territory from my ride.  On Tuesday (today) we got back to Anchorage where I made the changes.   I now depart on the ferry June 4 from Whittier and arrive in Bellingham, Washington on June 9. Whittier, a port town, is about 60 miles south of Anchorage. (See picture below)


I will ride my bike from Anchorage to Girdwood, Alaska, on June 3, which is about 40 miles (See picture below). Then I will ride from Girdwood to Whittier, which is about 20 more miles, to catch my ferry on June 4.  I will meet Jim Jr. at Whittier because he has to drive me, my bike, and the "BOB" through the "Whittier Tunnel."  There is no way to just ride your bike into Whittier.


My new arrival date in Bellingham is six days earlier than my original ferry date. This should be great for meeting Paddy and Amy (my daughters) in Colville, Washington. Also in the Lower 48 there are more services which means I can lighten my load by restocking more often, so pulling the “BOB” shouldn't be as much of a problem. My bike adventure will continue as planned from Washington to Minnesota.

I know this is a change from the original adventure but I'll keep posting if you want to keep following.
 
 
I would like to thank Jim Jr.'s wife, Destin, for letting him come with me on the first few days of my trip.  They have a newborn baby girl, Elsie Mae, at home.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there -it will likely take a while to figure out how to manage different challenges. It sounds challenging - you can do it! Sally

    ReplyDelete