WHAT AM I DOING?


I must say that this is an adventure. I came to Alaska to ride my bike and I am building a deck. The new adventure begins on June 3. I will ride to Girdwood, Alaska,which is about 36 miles from Anchorage. On June 4 I will ride to Whittier, Alaska, which is about 24 miles from Girdwood. At Whittier I have to wait for Jim Jr. to drive me through the tunnel. There is only one road into Whittier and it goes through a tunnel. No bikes, no walking through the tunnel. In Whittier I will catch the ferry to Bellingham, Washington. I will spend five nights on the ferry between Whittier and Bellingham. From Bellingham I plan to ride my bike to Saint Paul, Minnesota. I will take a route mapped out by Adventure Cycling Association and I will use their maps. On my travels I will update this blog whenever possible. Feel free to follow along and post a comment or email me at silverfox.jim@aol.com

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Started packing my "BOB" today.  I am the kind of person who packs and unpacks his bags about three times before leaving on a trip.  Today was the start of number one.  Three days before we leave for Fairbanks.  Today I did one of my favorite things in Anchorage.  Rode my bike downtown and had a Reindeer Hot Dog from the outdoor stand in front of the Federal Court House.  Then you sit on the steps of the Court House and eat it.  See the picture.  Forgot to put my odometer on my bike so I don't know how many miles I went.  I am going to take it easy on the miles from now till Saturday so I will feel fresh  when I start.  Mary, Jim Jr.'s next door neighbor, sent over a box of the best Brownies.  It is ten at night and there are only two left.  That's how good they are.  I keep forgetting the ten at night here is one in the morning in Minnesota.  About that watch I bought yesterday.  I am not sure today that it will ever tell me the time.  The time is supposed to be set by the GPS but I sure can't figure it out.  But like they say "Tomorrow is another day".  Moose count is 9.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dad, here are some comments and questions from Sonny's class:

    Of the 9 moose, how many were males? How big was the biggest moose you've seen so far? How tall was the 9th moose?

    How did the Reindeer Hot Dogs Taste? Did you like the Reindeer Hot Dog? Sonny said it tastes good.

    How far is your trip? How many miles are you going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sonny's class. I will try to answer all your questions. First you want to know how many moose were males. At one sighting I saw two moose together. A small moose and its mother. I don't know if the small moose was a male or female. I saw another moose with antlers so that was a male moose. All the other moose were too far away to tell if they were male or female.

    Next you want to know what a Reindeer Hot Dog taste like. I would say that it tastes somewhere between a wiener and a sausage. Sonny is right, they are very good.

    Nest question was how many miles will I go? Answer is about 2500 miles.

    That is the answers to all your questions. Thanks for following along.

    ReplyDelete