WHAT AM I DOING?


I must say that this is an adventure. I came to Alaska to ride my bike and I am building a deck. The new adventure begins on June 3. I will ride to Girdwood, Alaska,which is about 36 miles from Anchorage. On June 4 I will ride to Whittier, Alaska, which is about 24 miles from Girdwood. At Whittier I have to wait for Jim Jr. to drive me through the tunnel. There is only one road into Whittier and it goes through a tunnel. No bikes, no walking through the tunnel. In Whittier I will catch the ferry to Bellingham, Washington. I will spend five nights on the ferry between Whittier and Bellingham. From Bellingham I plan to ride my bike to Saint Paul, Minnesota. I will take a route mapped out by Adventure Cycling Association and I will use their maps. On my travels I will update this blog whenever possible. Feel free to follow along and post a comment or email me at silverfox.jim@aol.com

Monday, May 21, 2012

I tried yesterday to put a video in the blog but it would not go. I think I figured it out so today I will try again with video of a moose I saw in Jim Jr.'s back yard.


You can also now go to my previous posting to see the video I was trying to post yesterday (now that I have figured out how to do it).

I also have some "after" pictures of the empty space where Jim Jr.'s deck used to be. You can see the "before" pictures by scrolling down to my post from a few days ago. We got the whole deck out with only four trips to the dump.

No more deck, so no more work (for now)...

Good place for a jacuzzi.

Next is a picture of a drill bit from an oil rig. This goes on the end of the drill string that bores into the ground when drilling for oil. Oil is a big deal up here. I hear these can cost between $20,000 and $50,000 dollars. Some of them have diamonds on them to help cut through the rocks. This one is a small one but it still weighs 75 pounds! When they wear out the oil companies just throw them away. Jim Jr. got this one from a junk pile on a site inspection he was doing for work. It used to be sitting on his deck until we ripped the deck out. The drill bit now has the noble purpose of being a door stop.

This drill bit was probably 25,000 feet under the ground once.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment