WHAT AM I DOING?


I must say that this is an adventure. I came to Alaska to ride my bike and I am building a deck. The new adventure begins on June 3. I will ride to Girdwood, Alaska,which is about 36 miles from Anchorage. On June 4 I will ride to Whittier, Alaska, which is about 24 miles from Girdwood. At Whittier I have to wait for Jim Jr. to drive me through the tunnel. There is only one road into Whittier and it goes through a tunnel. No bikes, no walking through the tunnel. In Whittier I will catch the ferry to Bellingham, Washington. I will spend five nights on the ferry between Whittier and Bellingham. From Bellingham I plan to ride my bike to Saint Paul, Minnesota. I will take a route mapped out by Adventure Cycling Association and I will use their maps. On my travels I will update this blog whenever possible. Feel free to follow along and post a comment or email me at silverfox.jim@aol.com

Wednesday, May 16, 2012


Today I feel like a crazy old man with a lot of people out there thinking "what the heck is he doing". Well, that is not going to stop me. Revised plan is a go. I have to stay with Jim and Destin for about another two and a half weeks. It does not bother me. I like it here. Jim and Destin are real nice to me. We'll see how things are after the two and a half weeks.

We had an earthquak this morning. At 7:03 this morning I was standing in the kitchen. I heard this rumbling. It felt like a wave going through the house. It shook the whole house. I was not going to fall down but I felt that I better hold on to the counter. It was a 4.8 and the center was about 8 miles outside of Anchorage. That was a first for me.

I'm now taking everything out of my "BOB" bag and reevaluating its need. One item at a time. This is how the "BOB" is going to get lighter. I figure half the items in the bag have to go.

I am going to keep posting during my layover and when I find interesting things to take pictures of I'll post them.

2 comments:

  1. You are kind of a crazy old man but that just means you'll keep going. Glad you and Jim worked out a good plan B. I like it. Good to know we are still on for Washington. Love you! Paddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing wrong with a revised plan. Most people should do that at some point in their lives but just can't. So kudos to you!! I'm still super proud. Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete